Monday, July 5, 2010

Excuse me while I take a more serious tone for a moment:


For those of you who do not know already we are in the middle of quite a health scare with Natalie. It all started about 3 weeks ago when I found a quarter sized lump on Natalie's spine when she was getting dressed. I immediately called the Dr. and took her to her pediatrician. This pediatrician ran simple blood work and said he didn't want to see her back for three weeks in order to rule out any possibility of trauma causing swelling. Going with my motherly instinct I called and got her in with a KU pediatrician for a second opinion.

While at the KU pediatrician I reviewed the series of events that have transpired over the last year: March '09 lumps were found on Natalie's head, Natalie's abdomen has been unusually distended for at least the last year, recent developement of the lump on the spine. Dr. Rozina, the newly hired, KU pediatrician immediately ordered an abdominal ultrasound, and MRI of the spine.

0800: Friday June 25th Natalie had her abdominal ultrasound in an attempt to get to the bottom of her chronic abdominal distention.

0530: Friday evening Dr. Rozina calls with results. "Liver enlargement, bilateral kidney enlargement, and spleen is the upper side of norma. Could indicated lymphoma or leukemia." They have made us an appointment with Pediatric Hematology Oncology Monday. In addition to the our appointment at the Cancer Center we had a 0800 appointment for an MRI and additional blood work and urine testing.

My greatest fear was just confirmed. All of these unrelated symptoms could be a sign of every parents worst nightmare. After 5 minutes of shock I gathered myself enough to call my husband and give him the bad news. (Chris was still in Wisconsin with his Reserve unit completing 3 weeks of annual training.)

Fast forward through the most grueling weekend any parent can imagine.

Monday morning: After 2 mg Valium and waking up at 0600 Natalie is wide awake and not having any part of the MRI. MRI mission aborted and we head upstairs to the lab for blood work and leaving a urine sample.

Monday noon: Lunch with my newly married brother and his wife to re-center before our long anticipated appointment at the cancer center.

Monday 0100: Cancer center appoinment with Dr. Kumar. We are reassured that Natalie's blood work is negative for signs of lymphoma or leukemia, she does not have palpable lymph nodes besides the one on her head, she is not displaying classic signs or symptoms of lymphoma or leukemia and the initial plan for a Tuesday morning bone marrow biopsy will be canceled. Dr. Kumar wants a MRI with deep sedation in order to diagnose the lump on Natalie's spine and check for enlarged lymph nodes in her mediastinum, the area behind her breast bone.

Unfortunately the first available appoitment for an MRI with deep sedation is July 7th, our little girls 4th birthday...I guess we will take it. In the mean time we try to live our life as normal and be thankful for all the signs of health that she displays everyday. We are hoping to hear results about this MRI by evening of the 7th. In attempt to streamline the information update I will be posting an update. Look for the update here!

4 comments:

  1. Emily, I am praying for you and the family... I am praying for tomorrow's MRI and natalie's experience with that. Thanks for the update.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just linked to your blog from Anna's 'little reminders of love'. Read through everything here and love it..how gorgeous are your kids!

    So many thoughts and prayers going your way at this time. Hope to hear good news. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking of you all; I came over from Anna's page but have seen pics of you all and heard your news via Anna for over a year now via blog and facebook. I couldn't believe it when I just read what you are going through and I'm sending you every good thought and kharma by the bucket load! I hope it all goes well today and I'm sure it will. Happy Birthday Natalie! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Emily... I had no idea. I saw your status and hopped over to your blog through it... my thoughts are with you and Chris... I am sure everything will be ok and you'll be back to simply worrying about scraped up knees before you know it!

    ReplyDelete