Saturday, January 30, 2010

"HLS BLS"

"HLS BLS"...that was what I found on the last page of Nathan's most recent book he made at school. In case you aren't able to decipher his spelling it says "hells bells". (Not bad words in my book) I'm not proud of the fact that my child went to school and regurgitated one of my frequently used frustration phrases, but I sure as hell am proud that he used it correctly. Lets be serious people it could have been worse. He could be throwing these words around irresponsibly and at every opportunity. Perhaps this is the reason his school is testing him for the gifted program. Could it be that his vocabulary is not limited to "poopy" and "oops" but rather he will can accurately explain to you the difference between "as" and "ass" as he did one evening on a quiet ride to get a haircut;
Nathan: "Mommy, did you know 'as' is a good word and a bad word?"
Emily: "Oh really? Can you tell me how?"
Nathan: "Yeah, because 'as' is a good word but 'ass' is a bad word...and 'freakin ass' is a really bad word."
Emily: "Indeed. I'm glad we are clear on that." (Giggling to myself in the dark in the front seat)
Now before everyone starts looking up the number for DFS let me explain my opinion on language with children. Children need to understand that some words carry more heat than others and that there are lots of words to choose from to express yourself. I encourage Nathan to use words to describe his feelings and save the heavier words for really special feelings. I have effectively and successfully taken the thrill out of cussing in a child's eyes. Therefore fulfilling my job as a mother in claiming yet another victim in my quest to kill all fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment